Monday, June 2, 2008

Over-nighter at Lac Lu near Kenora, ON

I am sorry that the pictures are in reverse order to the text - these things seem to happen to me and I don't know how to fix them short of starting all over.



"and shall pitch it within and without with pitch" Gen. 6:14b.

Fri. May 30, '08 Hanna, Helmut & I arrived at Johnson Island, Lac Lu, (near Kenora), ON.

Unfortunately the boat hit a rock as we were landing at the dock and so a seam gave way causing a leak. First order of the afternoon when the rain stopped was to fix the leak so that the boat would not take on so much water as to sink. H & H were able to find some roofing tar in a tube left over from some previous patching of the roof. so Helmut pitched the boat corner ( leaky seam) within and without just like God told Noah to do on the ark.
the boat is on dry dock and Hanna is weighting it down while Helmut hangs over the end making the repair.











Sat. turned out to be a lovely sunny day. In the morning Helmut did various little repair jobs on the cabin and around the property. Hanna did some tidying up and all the cooking. I did some reading and knitting. Before lunch all three of us went hiking around the property to enjoy the spring growth, look for plants and animals and just get some exercise. We saw lots of wild flowers and in another post I will show you some of those pictures, there seemed to be about three deer on the island - sighted by one or the other of us at various times. After lunch Helmut & I went for a relaxing canoe trip to the west end of the lake - it took a little over an hour.

Hanna did the mowing and cleaning out some of the junk so that it could be removed back to the city to be disposed of.

After our canoe trip Helmut loaded all the "junk" in the boat in preparation for our return to the main land and the city in the evening.

We had a nice supper before leaving the cabin . We left the parking place for the two & a half hour trip to Winnipeg about 8:35 pm. Arrived at Hanna's home in Winnipeg about 11:15 unloaded her stuff and got on home before midnight. It was a very lovely over-nighter.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That was very special I am sure. It sounds like you had a lot of fun. Did you get any picture of the deer. When John and I were up in Algonquin Prov. Park, there was a black bear near where we wanted to eat. On the way out of the park we saw another one. John was sure it was the same bear. I thought there were 2 bears. What matters. I am glad that they/it didn't bother us when we ate.

Anonymous said...

Oh, that looks so wonderful! I am so glad you had a good time. U. Helmut gets the Handy Man of the Year Award!!!

Cortney said...

How I miss the lake! I am so glad Helmut was there to help fix the boat for mama hanna.

Anonymous said...

It was very good of Helmut to wear yellow while working by the door. I like colour coordination!