Saturday, October 29, 2011

Grandma's Quilts

Grandma Ferris made this quilt for me when I was a teenager. It is a scrap quilt made in the design of the Jacob's Ladder (I think), it is set together with white blocks, backed with white cotton and bound with a dark green print. She had it machine quilted by someone else. It is a double bed size but I have displayed it here on a single bed.

The close-up shows the design in more detail.













The Double Wedding Ring quilt was pieced by hand by Grandma F. and given to Helmut and Me as a wedding gift in 1968. The rings are made of very small scraps hand sewn together and set in white with light green and pink 4 square blocks at each intersection. It is hand quilted I believe by Grandma. It has a scalloped edge with hand sewn pink binding and a white cotton backing. It is a large double bed size and even fits our queen size fairly well.

I treasure both of these tokens of my Grandma's art form. Both have been used considerably as that is what she made them for.

No comments: