Saturday, October 29, 2011

My Quilting History

My dear Grandma Ferris initiated my interest in quilt making when i was probably in my early teens by giving me some quilt blocks that were already cut out for me to hand sew together.

When my sister was planning to get married I decided to make her a "Family" quilt which I took the idea from a "Friend" quilt that our church ladies group made for a missionary.

This two tone blue quilt is the "Family" quilt made for John & Pat Van Essen in 1971 for the occasion of their wedding. Each light blue block has an embroidery design contributed by Mothers, Sisters and Sister-in-laws, Aunts and perhaps Cousins from both sides of the new family. The backing is a blue print with some beige and white in it. Grandma F. wasn't so thrilled with my idea of a print on the back as she traditionally used white on the back.

Grandma F. was not very well just prior to Pat & John's wedding but she was able to attend and looked very lovely for the occasion.










The Bow Tie Crib quilt I made up of the blocks that Grandma F. originally started me with plus more that I had to contribute to make it up to the right size. I had this quilt finished in time for Mark's first birthday in Apr. 1976. It is backed with a pale green printed flannelet.

Remember click on picture to enlarge it. Sorry the pictures of the Bow Tie are not so sharp and have light specks on them.



1 comment:

Pat said...

Jean, I thoroughly enjoyed these pictures of Grandma's and your quilts. What a treat! I didn't know that Gr. wasn't happy about the print you put on the back of our quilt. I used that quilt on double beds, but haven't had a double bed for a long time. You didn't mention the block(s) Helmut embroidered. Didn't he also help with the quilting. It always brings back good memories when I get it out.
On the double wedding ring quilt Gr. gave you, I think she had someone do that, but not the same person that machine quilted the others.
It was a joy to see Gramdma's picture. She had had stomach surgery a bit earlier, but was able to be at our wedding. What a sweet Grandma. What a sweet sister you are too.
Love, Pat
(On FB you spelled northern "northren", so someone may not be able to find this.)