Thursday, November 8, 2007

Castle Interiors
















A friend asked for some pictures of the interiors of castles. At the moment there are only a few recorded in the computer so I chose the best ones from what I have available. We took loads more pictures but they are on a disc that has not been uploaded to A.'s computer and I don't do that step on my own. A. is out of town.
All of these pictures are from the Ludwigsburg Castle near Stuttgart. This is a modern building compared to many other castles that we were in it was built between 1704 & 1733. There are over 450 rooms in 18 different buildings we toured about 60 rooms in the main residence building.
One picture is an opulent corridor with me just getting in the right lower corner. Helmut was quite taken with the lovely desk that took seven years for the furniture craftsman to make. I forgot what the large room with the platform was called but it is still used today for concerts. Next is a sample of the hand painted ceilings found throughout. The room with all the red furnishings is a chapel. Most castles that we visited had their own chapel or more than one.
Ludwigsburg has extensive gardens but there was an extra charge to tour them and we didn't have so much time anyway. We peaked out a few windows as we toured inside and got a little idea of how the gardens looked. The flower boxes all around the outside wall were blooming very nicely and we observed them as we walked from the bus stop to the main entrance. this castle is not on top of a mountain as many such places seem to be.
Tourist information at: www.ludwigsburg.de I haven't looked at it yet so I don't know if it is in English or German.

4 comments:

Pat VE said...

Those pictures inside the castle were fascinating. When I saw all the chandeliers, I thought of Mom and Dad's that I would clean for them. I think the basket one in the livingroom had 100 prisms and the candlelabara one in the dining room had 40 prisims. I can't even imagine cleaning all the ones in this castle. The other pictures are neat too. You mentioned all the blooming flowers outside and you show flowers in most of your pictures. Are these perenniel or annuals? I need to get at Sarah's curtains I promised to shorten today. Love, Pat

Jean said...

Most of the flowers that we saw in May were perenials, bulbs or very small annuals just getting going. Quite a lot of geraniums were in full bloom but I think that they would have been set out in the spring just like in NE and MB just that their spring probably started earlier even than yours.

We're glad to have Ruth home. M,C&T were here for supper along with two of Ruth's local gal friends.

Anonymous said...

These pictures are so beautiful!! Did you take any video? Aunt Jean, you're tagged. You can read my blog to see what that means! ;)

Anonymous said...

The inside is just as beautiful as I imagined!