Thursday, November 1, 2007

Mini Trip to IA

Here we are at home again after a short trip to IA. this time for a little variety and because of other commitments we started our journey from Portage la Prairie, MB. We took some less frequented roads through part of southern MB saw some little towns that we haven't been in for a long time and crossed the international border at a little post south of Winkler.

Sun. was a beautiful afternoon for a road trip and we enjoyed the drive. the driver filled up the gas tank when necessary and the coffee cup even more often thus he was "wide awake and bushy tailed" right on through the night. Somewhere after midnight we came past Minneapolis without a hitch in our travels or a traffic jam or any other delays. We took a rest break in northern IA to have a little nap. Those car seats got pretty hard and uncomfortable after a while. But the thing that bugged me the most was that my legs got cold. After a couple of hours we were rolling again.

Breakfast with the Ferrises in Cedar Rapids.

H. went on to Columbus Junction, IA to purchase yarn for the knitting machine and I had a visit with Myrna until I couldn't keep my eyes open any longer so I got a nice two hour or so nap before lunch. H. & Jim both took naps in the afternoon and M. and I went for a hike on the local trail.

Special gospel meetings were conducted at the Marian assembly so we attended in the evening. Hannah & Joanna brought a friend, Michell to the meeting so they came over for a visit afterwards.

Tues. after breakfast Helmut & I went to John & Ruth's for a visit. It was a good day together. H. & JD tried to put up some new lighting fixtures in the utility room but didn't get the job completed. R. & I made apple crisps before lunch.

All six of us went to the Fontana county park for a walk in the late afternoon. That was a good time of exercise Ms. Joanna is a very speedy walker but most of us weren't trying to keep up to her. H. tried to get us interested in identifying trees - we were a little slow to pay attention.

Took some pizza home for supper. the evening was spent travelling by pictures through Germany and Northern Ireland.

Zim's drove back to CR arriving about 11pm.

Wed. morning M & JEZ went shopping and got some very good bargains in clothing. (Using initials is confusing in this family - so many J names.)

About the middle of the afternoon we started back home. Only after I got a promise from H. that we wouldn't try to drive all night. We drove as far as Monticello, MN arriving there about 10pm. We were able to get a motel room without any trouble so turned in. Helmut was even prepared to enjoy the pool but I didn't have the proper attire along.

Drove from Monticello to Winnipeg today without any hitches.

No digital camera - no pictures to post.

2 comments:

Pat VE said...

I wish we could have pushed Lincoln a little further east and gotten in on the family fun. Walking in the woods--ah, yes. John liked the woods and I like the water. We probably spent about the same amount of time with both. Well, the woods; my idea of a walk in the woods was to hold his hand, hear the leaves rustle, look up at the sky through the leaf canopy and just have a romantic walk. He always had a walking stick, which was just fine. However, we had to stop every yard or two and examine a plant, shrub or tree. It was his delight to tell me exactly what it was and how I could tell, and tell how it was different than "x", etc. Never mind the romantic stroll. Well, now I would be delighted to accompany him on a nature identification hike. The last one we did, was when I was driving for him at the tail end of his time in business. He could barely see. I would tell him the stuff I knew and describe a lot of other stuff. He delighted in the wind, the warm sun on him and the song of the birds--not being able to see a thing. I just wept. I could see all he was missing out on. He was content. We have to enjoy what the Lord gives us today. It's rough going back sometimes, but also brings back fond memories.

Jean said...

The walk we were on doesn't quite fit your discription of a walk in the woods. this place had a paved trail and mowt of the time the woods was on only one side of us - however, we enjoyed the outing.