Saturday, July 21, 2007

Harvest

The harvest is beginning in our garden. A little spinach is ready for eating ( lots of it went to blossom and seed whilwe we were away). The cucumbers are starting to produce some salad size fruits which taste quite nice. The raspberries are producing very nice fruits and we are enjoying them with ice cream nearly every evening. These are the most popular fruit for this family so I try to put some in the freezer to use next winter - haven't gotten very many pints in there yet as we eat so many of them up while they are fresh.

You will be expecting some special recipes for rasberry desserts - ha, I never make any fantastic concoctions. Just place a big scoop or more of vanilla ice cream in a bowl and cover with fresh raspberries or thawed frozen raspberries. I like it best without adding any sugar but some family members like to add sugar to the raspberries.

Freezing raspberries is simple - wash them off and drain them in a strainer; place them in a plastic container with a tight lid and freeze.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'll take my ice cream with chocolate syrup--my favorite vegetable! Love, Pat

Jean said...

Well, I see someone is reading me - your favorite veggie is well liked in this household also.

Jean said...

Well, I see someone is reading me - your favorite veggie is well liked in this household also.

Dennis and Valerie said...

I'm reading! Glad to see you're up and running again. ;)