Monday, July 30, 2007

Soft Bananas

Recently I was reading a favorite blog where the blogger was talking about soft bananas - this set me thinking about uses for soft bananas. The usual use for those soft mushy bananas is to bake banana bread or cake. Since I don't like to have the oven on in hot weather I was thinking about what other things you might do beside put them in the freezer (with all the others that you've chucked in the freezer and never gotten around to baking into bread or cake). Following is a recipe that is well received in this household - I read it on some product many years ago - since bananas don't usually come with recipes printed on their peels it was likely on the Nestle Quik powder. I also don't remember exact portions but my measurements usually turn out tasty anyway.

CALYPSO (the original recipe may have been spelled with a K instead of a C)

Place in a blender

1 soft banana
3 or 4 scoops of vanilla ice cream
1/4 cup more or less Nesquik powder
1/2 cup milk

Blend a few seconds until thick and smooth. If shake is too runny add more ice cream, if too thick more milk and just in case you think it is too sweet add more banana, milk and ice cream and serve to more people.

If I want to make a larger amount than the blender will hold or I don't want to use the blender just mix with the electric mixer: Place bananas in large bowl and mush up real well with the beaters, add Nesquik and mix, add ice cream and slowly mix then add milk at last or alternate with ice cream.

Place in glasses and use wide straws to drink with.

Not recommemnded for reduced calorie diets.

Alternative use of soft bananas - add to your compost pile.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds good, Mom! haven't had that for awhile - would be quite refreshing on a day like today...too bad i'm too busy packing (or putting off packing) to try it.
if only someone would make it for me


ha ha, just kidding!

The Mom said...

that looks like a good recipe! I appreciated your comment on my blog about what to do with over ripe bananas when you don't have time to bake. I actually had begun doing that a few months ago but those 4 bananas just never made it to the freezer either. I need to remember to just stick them in before I totally forget about their progress of ripeness!

Anonymous said...

You write very well.