Friday, June 15, 2007

May 10th. Heidelberg












I hope that these pictures will align themselves the opposite way that I uploaded them.
The one of several cars from the rear is when we were on a little ferry crossing the Neckar River at Ladenburg on our way to Edingen/Neckarhausen. E/N is the town where Dorla Smith a missionary commended from an assembly in Florida lives. We stopped to see her for a short visit - although Helmut had contacted her before we left Canada and she had said she would like us to visit we could not reach her by phone once we got to Germany so just ended up on her doorstep. she didn't have much time that morning.
We drove on to Heidelberg and after much searching found an underground parkade in the Altstad area. We walked to the Bergbahn (terminal for the cable tram that goes up the mountain) We took the first stage of the tram - a quite new cable car - up to the Schloss (another word for castle).
You can see a view of this castle from below in one of the photos. The other photo of an old building is part of the castle up closer. The view of lots of roofs is looking from the castle down on the city.
We spent some time looking around all of the outside of the castle and part of the grounds. We also toured the part of the inside that was open to those who didn't want to pay more for a guided tour. We saw the Apothecary Museum. Also saw some very old and huge beer kegs. Can't show the photos as I don't know how to turn them the right way up.
The brown cable car goes up the top part of the mountain you have to change at the middle station. This part of the tram has been in operation for over 100 years. We went up and looked around - it was very cool and I didn't bring my jacket. I was also quite tired by this point so didn't feel like hiking on the trails at the top.
We met an older gentleman on the ride down to the city who told us all kinds of things about the history and appointed himself as our guide down in the Altstadt later on in the afternoon.
The "tour " of the Altstadt included looking at lots of old buildings from the outside and going into a old church that is used by both Lutherans & Catholics. Then we went to see an old bridge that crosses the Neckar River. It has been closed to vehicle traffic ( I think he said because it needs too much repair) it is used for pedestrians. Yes, we walked across it.
We had to search a while for a place to stay but finally found a hotel with a second story room and a little balcony - too many smokers down below so couldn't keep the window open until late at night or use the balcony. We were pretty tired so after supper we got ready for bed.
Now it is time for me to get to bed tonight also.




4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Did your hotel room have a kitchenette or something like that in it? I think I would have gotten quite tired walking. I like museums and tours of mansions, but it always makes my legs hurt. I am really enjoying your blog. Have you checked Courtney Nelson's blog? Surprise!
Love, Pat

Jean said...

I enjoy your encouragement to keep going - thanks. I'll look up Courtney's blog now I think it is more than a week since I looked at it. Yes, I got tired walking especially the stairs. I always have my eyes open for places to sit down. Helmut is very understanding and didn't rush me most of the time.

Today I went for an hour walk after several days of being too busy or lazy to go - I need to get back into shape.

Anonymous said...

I got fitted for new orthotics on Thurs., so maybe by the end of summer I'll be able to walk again.
How about the kitchenette? Did you have such a thing, or always went out? Pat

Jean said...

We did not see one kitchenette in any place we stayed the whole month. Some hotels had under- the-counter fridges with alcoholic drinks in them that you could have at a price. Sometimes there was enough room in these fridges to put a small bottled drink to get cold - most of them would not make ice. Ice is very scarce - no machines for the production of it in the hotels.