Saturday, September 1, 2007

More Mini Vacations

At close to midnight Fri. Aug. 31 my dear husband suggested that we should get out and away from home on Sat. So while we had our bedtime snack we did some brain storming and got out some maps to do a little planning. Then we went to the modern equipment (computer) to investigate our ideas. We found that it is possible to rent canoes at the Green Bay Resort on Caddy Lake in the Whiteshell Prov. Park - rates seemed reasonable. We went to bed with our plans in our heads and tried to get some decent sleep.

We were on our way to Caddy lake by around 10:00 in the morning. Caddy lake is very near to the ON border and several km north of highway #1. It takes a little over two hours to get there.
The resort is on the south east side of the lake. they had a canoe available so we did all the necessary paper work and money handover to have a canoe for the rest of the day. We decided that we could go paddling for a while before we stopped to have our picnic lunch. so I just fortified my energy level with a granola bar before we set out.

At the north end of the lake there is a tunnel through the rock where the water flows into the next lake - South Cross Lake. Getting through the tunnel and into SCL was our goal before having lunch. When I was about "starved" we found a rocky point on SCL with a tiny place where we could beach the canoe so we headed in. The paddling seemed to take a lot of energy today (more than in Hanna's canoe) - we had the wind behind us most of the time before lunch.

Our picnic spot was a sunny rock point but had a place where I could sit and hang my feet down to a lower level which was more comfortable than sitting on a flat surface with the legs extended straight out. We stayed on our on private point for about an hour, eating, resting and basking in the sun and breeze. We explored a little ways around the point with the canoe and discovered a couple of other people on the far side.

The return voyage required paddling against the wind so was even more work than before lunch. At the end of the canoe trip we at least feel like we have accomplished something. Only one life jacket blew off our picnic point into the lake and got wet before H. could rescue it. Nobody fell in the lake today but the sweat shirt got plenty wet lying in the bottom of the canoe - I guess one or both of us were splashing quite a bit.

Upon our return to the resort we thought we would like to take a swim at the beach. H. took a plunge into the lake and found it to be chilly with a mucky bottom. I did a little wadding and gave up on the whole idea. We are just a little spoiled by the beautiful sandy beaches at Lake Winnipeg.

We headed home a little before sunset time - stopped at an A&W a little ways east of the city for our supper.

We found Abby very contentedly sleeping on our bedroom floor. I guess she went looking for us and didn't have the energy to return to her own bed in the kitchen. We really didn't think it a good idea to take her on a canoe trip.

5 comments:

Pat VE said...

It sounds like a fun day. I finished the mowing this morning, blew the stuff off the driveway, ridded the house of a few cobwebs, and admired the paint job Helmut did in July. We got our piano tuned this week and it is such a joy to sit down and play the hymns out of the Choice Hymns. Some of them I sang along and some, I just played. John seemed to really enjoy it even though he can no longer sing. It has been 2 years since it was tuned, so it has sat a loooonnnngggg time without being played.
We've invited Barb, Lyle and Diane down for supper tomorrow evening, and the folks from the assembly for a picnic Labor Day evening. I hope it isn't too much for John.
He has been really bright this week. I don't know if it has to do with the cooler weather. Did I tell you that his chest wound is all healed? Any news from Andrew's trip. You have a blessed Lord's day too. Love you, Pat

Jean said...

I wonder if I had our piano tuned if I'd play it more?????? It was last tuned more than 30 years ago - hopeless I'd say.

Dennis and Valerie said...

Hi, I just noticed your blog a few weeks ago asking if anyone was reading! I am, but I was busy with the move and hadn't checked in recently.

Your little mini vacation sounds wonderful. I'm so glad you got to do that. Are you doing anything special for Labor Day?

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a fun day, Mom!
And regarding the piano tuning, that would be awesome if you could get it tuned. (of course you haven't heard me say that before, ha ha)
Ruth

Pat VE said...

Jean--Get your piano tuned ASAP. You'll be glad that you did. Ruth, do you play the piano?
Here is a bumper sticker Matthew read Sat. night. "Going to war without France, is like going hunting without your accordian". My apologies to any French readers. I just found it hilarious. Your sis, Pat