Friday, September 7, 2007

Sewing the Old Fashoned Way

How did our Grandmothers or Great-Grandmothers do their sewing? With a needle and thread and perhaps a thimble, you will say. Many of them may have also had a sewing machine manufactured in the early part of the 20th. century. Such machines are now considered antique - (those manufactured around about 1950 are called vintage).

We acquired a Singer Sewing machine made in 1915 according to its serial number. It is not electric - obvious, ha! It is powered by a foot treadle. It sews straight stitches in a forward direction - that is it.

Mission accomplished - after oiling up all the movable parts, joints and gadgets on this old relic it runs as smoothly as I can treadle. This technique takes some practice to get it down pat and keep the machine going without breaking threads or otherwise mangling up the goods. I used a modern sewing machine needle in it and it works just fine. It is a good thing that it came with the original style bobbins as they are quite different from any of the modern ones.

I found a web site where one may purchase just about any part to go with these old machines. (I don't think we will need to get anything for this machine but for the other one that is also about the same age we might have to get a new belt and some bobbins.)

Yesterday, I sewed up a tote bag with the antique method and it turned out OK. It would have been faster working on my 1967 model Singer.

The whole purpose of acquiring this old machine is to send it to Zambia where someone with out electric power available may be able to put it to use. It will be my husband's job to figure out how to pack this rather large item so that it can be safely shipped in the container.

2 comments:

Pat VE said...

Sounds like you've had some fun with a treadle. I think I am glad to have an electric. I've often thought, though, that if we were deprived of electricity, gas or water--as in the olden days, our lives would be kind of ground to a halt. At least we would have to be innovative.
Today I have gone to garage sales (2)and mostly picked up stuff for the kids. It is kind of fun, but I never am quite sure just what they'll need.
I also baked choc. chip cookies. I took some to my neighbor across the street who is having one of the sales. I've eaten a few, and put the rest in the freezer.
John wanted to go on a picnic this noon, so went up to a park here in town. It is a BEAUTIFUL cool/warm day. Just right!
Now I need to clean my house :(.
Love, Pat

Anonymous said...

I was just going to ask "why would you ever buy such a thing when you could just buy a new one?" but then you answered my question.

Neat.

Ruth
ps.Do you think you can make clothes for cheaper than the prices you pay for them at say...Superstore these days? I've been curious about that. And no, I'm not thinking of taking up sewing ;)