Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Sewing Machine Upkeep

Keep your sewing machine in good working order. It will run so much smoother and make better quality seems.
1. Regularly clean it up by dusting it, removing all the lint from under the throat plate and
between the tension disks and everywhere else you can get to.
2. Oil it according to the directions in the manuel - if you don't have such a thing - oil the
moving parts underneath, those at the top of the machine and those where the thread
take up and needle bar are.
3. Some machines require light grease on the gear wheels if you can see that area.
4. Don't forget to look underneath the whole head and oil those movable joints that you see.
5. Now turn it on and run it a while without any thread in it.
6. Wipe up any excess oil that may be dripping off of anything.
7. Thread and sew on something that can be discarded to take up any excess oil.

Well, Sis, perhaps that old machine in your attic could have another lease on "life" with a little attention. Now if you don't get at it before I can come for a visit perhaps we could do it together. If it gets some TLC and won't work then it will be time for the more knowledgeable to work on it.

Children of eight or nine can probably start to lean the basics of sewing on a machine. I think it must have been at about that stage that I got my start with Mom as the instructor.

6 comments:

Pat VE said...

Hi Jean,
What was the first thing Mom had you make? The first garment? Pat

Jean said...

Hi Pat, I don't remember. It is too long ago. I remember that you gave me either for a birthday or Christmas gift a way back when...a bag to keep my nylons in...It was made from a piece of quilted material of a rose tone with a piece of light pink lining and then it was folded as an envelope and the stitches to hold the envelope in place were done by hand with an aqua colore embrodery thread - I may still have it.

I have no idea when you made this or if Mom helped you with either the machine or the hand sewing. I was probably a young teenager when you gave it to me -- I didn't use nylons much before that stage.

Pat VE said...

Boy, I don't ever remember making such a bag. I might recognize it if I were to see it. It sounds like it was probably a learning project that Mom had me do. I think my first sewing machine projects were either a potholder or bag or some-such. Mom had me make a gathered skirt as a first garment project. I practically gave up sewing then and there. I was 11 or 12--still in grade school. When I got to Home ec. in Jr. High, our first project was an apron. Then we made a blouse with raglan sleeves. Finally, we made pleated skirts, where you have to do all the math to figure out how big the outside pleats would be and how much to tuck under. Border prints were popular then, so mine was gray on top and a city scene around the border--maybe Italy or something. We didn't make anything more sofisticated in school. Mom went on to teach me how to do dresses, jackets (lined and unlined) and specifics like pockets, collars, sleeves, kick pleats, zippers (visible and invisible). A lot of it I learned by doing. I didn't care for puffed sleeves as for little kids, but I did do some of it. I also made some rather basic doll clothes after I was past playing with dolls. I would say that by 13, I was buying my own materials and making my own clothes. I also bought hats, shoes and purses (many to match) from babysitting money. Mom was a wonderfully patient teacher. She really believed that we should know everything there was to know about sewing, cooking, keeping house (remember spring and fall housecleaning?) canning, freezing, painting, etc. She taught us just about everything but gardening and makeup. Ha.
Since this comment spot has turned out to be of a "Down Memory Lane" sort--do you remember starting a Maple Leaf Girls club for you and me? I don't remember anything we did, but we did do some things with maple leaf symbols. Do you remember decorating plain white napkins with either colored pencil, pens or crayons for the Christmas table? Also the place cards?
Well, I could recall a lot, so maybe we can save some for other times. Love, Pat

Jean said...

Pat, I'll have to tahink "down memory lane" and then make a proper post - right now I don't have the time for the thinking.

Hey, if you have time look at Andrew's photos on FB. Note the pictures from Upward Bound 2007. More lataer about who you are looking for.

Pat VE said...

I have done some previous looking. Is it barbie short? It looked as if he was trying to be descreet. Also, in his picture on FB, is he holding a baby or a dog? Pat

Jean said...

In A's current profile picture he is holding the only "recent" baby in this branch of the Z. family - that is T. the day he was born - so you know how old that pic. is.

Your other question is answered on your email.