Saturday, October 6, 2007

Germany Travels Resumed











Back in Zussdorf where I left off the last time I blogged about Germany.
This is the comfortable Gasthof where the Lady in Wilhelmsdorf reserved us a room by phone. We had a nice second story room that overlooked this parking lot and when we looked left out of our window we saw our high perched neighbors living in this nest on the top of this special pole for their housing project. Looking right we observed the local church with its bell tower - we also observed that the bells were rung every hour and half hour but they weren't rung after about 9pm and not before 6 am.
We dined in the Brauhaus on the first floor - they offered a very adequate menu ( I don't remember what I ate) Helmut tried out Most which he anticipated to be a apple cider type beverage - it turned out to be more alcoholic than he expected and a bit of a disappointment. However, he didn't become "drunk". The regulars at the next table (the sign on the table said it was reserved for "regulars") were all dressed up in the local costume and some of them were more than a little drunk when they arrived. We didn't sit around long after finishing our meal.
In the evening we took a walk around the village and out into the country side - pleasanter than all the second hand smoke at the Gasthof-Brauhaus. I don't recall that the smoke penetrated into our room much when we had the window closed.

1 comment:

Pat VE said...

I am assuming those are storks in the nest on the pole. I read a story in grade school about that. I don't remember the title. It's a wonder that those birds can carry new babies all over the world.:) I am glad to see some new stories about your trip.
M & S went to the Omaha Conf. again this afternoon. I am keeping Lily and David and they have gone down for their naps. The 2 older boys were going to children's meeting up there so they would just have Linia, who by the way, is 1 today. Talk to you later. Love, Pat