Tuesday, January 15, 2008

CORNMEAL MUSH


I am decorating the recipes with flower pictures. This is my current amaryllis when it had its first two blooms. Now those two have wilted and the second two blooms are open. The blooms have two rows of petals which I don't recall seeing before on other plants.







CORNMEAL MUSH

4 cups of water
1 tsp. salt.
1 cup cornmeal

Bring water and salt to a boil in a medium sized sauce pan, slowly add the cornmeal while stirring. Cook it for about 5 minutes or until as thick as you desire it. stir it frequently.

Serve as a hot cereal or

Serve along with eggs or

Place in a greased loaf pan, cover and refrigerate until the next day. Cut into thin slices and fry them in a skillet with oil or fat of some sort at a low temperature until golden brown.
Serve like pan cakes with butter and syrup.

This can be a good substitute for pancakes for people who do not tolerate wheat.

2 comments:

Pat VE said...

Thanks for the recipe. I don't know when I'll get around to trying it, but it sounds good.

Anonymous said...

I have cornmeal porridge every Friday morning. I put an egg in it for added protein. When I used to stay at my Gramma Unger's, she would make a different porridge every morning and then on Friday morning, we would have German Pancakes. I don't make all the same porridges but I do have a different porridge every morning still! I never thought of slicing and frying it. That would be good!