Thursday, January 31, 2008

Treasures

" Lay up treasure in heaven where neither moth nor rust doth corrupt nor thieves break through and steal."

My husband was cleaning up this week and found five of these old coins. The 1886 one is the oldest and the youngest is a 1918. In the top picture you see the face and the rear of the coin.
In the second picture you see the coins compared to a modern Canadian $1 and a penny.

The old coins are Pennies. On one side it says ONE PENNY and the date; on the other side it says "VICTORIA DEI GRA BRITT REGINA FID DEF IND IMP
Does anyone have an idea what country these belong to?
H. doesn't know how he got them unless he found them in an old piece of furniture that he recovered.

2 comments:

Pat VE said...

I can't tell you anything about the coins. They are interesting. Do you remember when Dad found a handful of coins (I think some were foreign) when he was tearing out the bathroom on Polk Blvd.? I don't know what became of them.
There was a runner that went up our open stairway in Ottumwa. One day I was running my hand under the edge of the carpet runner and came up with a $20 bill. John tore the entire runner off the stair steps and put it back down, but we didn't find any more.
It was big talk in Lincoln this winter as a few gold coins from Africa and other places, no doubt collector's type, were put into the Salvation Army pots around town. I don't know if they thought they were laying up treasures in heaven. Have a good day. Love, Pat

Dennis and Valerie said...

I'm afraid I don't know anything about the coins either! They look interesting.

I liked your post about what you wear to go outside. :) Cute. It's pretty cool here, but NOT -28C!