Monday, January 14, 2008

Spooon Bread

1 cup milk
1/2 tsp. salt
1 cup of water
3/4 cup yellow cornmeal
2 tbsp. butter (cut into bits)
3 large eggs, separated

In a large pan, combine milk , salt & water and bring to a simmer over low heat. Stir in cornmeal a little at a time and cook, stirring constantly for 2 minutes or until it is thickened. Put in a food processor and blend 30 seconds. ( I used the mixer in the same pot where I cooked it. You could also blend it vigorously with a wooden spoon.) Add the butter and egg yolks and blend until combined.

In a large bowl beat the egg whites until they just form stiff peaks. Use the electric or hand beater or a whisk and lots of elbow grease. Stir 1/4 of the cornmeal mixture into the egg whites and then gently fold in the remainder. Pour in to a 1 1/2 quart casserole dish that has been greased and bake at 375 F for 30 -40 minutes.
.
Serve with a gravy or stew of some sort.

Thanks goes to our neighbor, Peter Grant, for this recipe.

3 comments:

Pat VE said...

I am wondering how Mom made corn meal mush?

Jean said...

I have a recipe if you want to try it. She never baked it as far as I know. Cold cornmeal mush sliced very thin and fried very slowly in a cast iron skillet is so yummy with butter and syrup. You need to make the mush the day before you want to fry it.

Pat VE said...

Yah, I would like that recipe. I have cornmeal in my freezer. It was government dole-out from when
A. Lola was living. I don't know if we got some of here extras, and I think I have bought some store bought corn meal, not realizing I had the other in the freezer. It still makes good corn bread, but I just don't make as much of that now that John's appetite is waning. Yes, I would like the recipe for corn meal mush. Have a good day. Your sis, Pat