Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Aunt Mabel's Choco Chip Crunchy Bars

This has been a baking morning. As I was putting together the dough for Aunt Mabel's Crunchy Bars I was mulling over in my mind the title and ideas for a future series of posts on this blog. (Blogging is really additive with me). I have in mind to write about incidents of funny mistakes that have happened to me or others during the years of my camp cooking experience. So wouldn't you know I up and did something dumb with the bars. Instead of spreading the dough in the cake pan and placing the chips on the top I up and spooned the bough without the chips onto the cookie sheets and started baking the first 2 dozen. After realizing the mistake I put the rest of the dough in the cake pan with the chips on top and we now have one small pan of bars and two dozen plain oatmeal cookies.

I received this recipe from Aunt Mabel Rockhold 35 or more years ago. It has been a real hit with this family as well as many other folks. I don't know if A. Mabel developed it or received it from someone else.

Chocolate Chip Crunchy Bars

Cream together:
1 stick (1/2 C.) margarine
6 TBS. brown sugar
6 TBS. white sugar

Blend in :
1 egg
1 tsp. vanilla

Add:
3/4 C. flour
1/2 tsp. soda
1/8 tsp. salt (optional)
1 C. uncooked oatmeal (any variety)

Spread this dough in an 8"x8" pan, cover with 6 oz. of chocolate chips.
Bake at 375 degrees F. for 2 to 3 minutes then cut through the melted chips and dough with a knife to marbleize (is this a new word?) bars and continue baking for 10 - 12 minutes. Let cool in pan then cut into squares. Watch them disappear!

I usually double the recipe and bake it in a 9"x13" pan.


I have a very special "vacuum cleaner" son who demolishes fresh baking.

Keep your eyes opoen for more "dumb" incidents.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jean, I have made those bars for years, but didn't know where I got the recipe, or that A. Mabel even made them. I got a lemon bar recipe from her. I have A. Lola's oatmeal and Corn Flake recipe. A. Myrna's choc. cake. etc. I think it would be fun to hear about the cooking messes you found yourself in from camp. I would have to say that in all my years of cooking, John has never complained about anything, even burnt toast. Does that mean I'm a good cook? I think not. I think it means he's a grateful husband.
Trust your day goes well. Enjoy your bars and your special cookies. Those would have better been eaten as dough. Ha :) Pat

Jean said...

HI Pat, those cookies turned out to taste quite nice (baked of course). I also made Donut muffins this morning without any mishaps. This recipe came from you - our friends at the meeting really like them so I am taking the d-muffins for the fellowship time tonight. They are sporting a sign right now to that effect to keep the VC out.

Anonymous said...

Jean, What do you mean "keep the VC out?" The donut muffin recipe was one I got in 7th grade at Roosevelt High School, Home Ec. class. We served an orage slush that our family has called Orange Julius, along with the d-muffins. They are always a big hit wherever I take them, and I usually eat more than my share. That is why I quite often double the recipe. In school, we made them in regular muffin tins. Now-days, I make them in the gem sized pans. What size do you use?
I don't know if reading your blog earlier put me in the baking mood, but I am working on baking a batch of oatmeal/raisin cookies, which is on the back of the Hy Vee oatmeal box. I once and a half the recipe. It makes a lot. I may take some to Matt and Sarah, but. shh, let's keep it a secret. She hasn't been blogging for so long that she may not find out about this treat until June. Ha:)
Love, Pat

Dennis and Valerie said...

Hey you two- I like to read your chatter back and forth.

I have a orange/choc. chip bar recipe that I got from Mom, but can anyone tell me why they always turn out more like cake? I'm always disappointed with my bars. I made some banana bars that were delicious a few weeks ago, but again it was more like a cake. What am I doing wrong?