Thursday, April 12, 2007

Getting Ready

Up until now most of the planning and preparation for our far flung travel has been in our heads and conversations. Today we are getting more into the actual doing something. This morning U. Helmut wrote some emails to various folks that we are thinking of visiting. Then we went to the insurance co. to take care of our medical travel ins.

Soon we have to do a dry-run packing to see which pieces of luggage will work the best for us and how to fit in what we want. U. Helmut's sisters advise travelling light - one of them usually travels with only a medium size back pack. I don't think I want to wear the same two outfits for a whole month so I think I'll need a bag beside the back pack. Also I want my back pack to be reasonably light for day trips, etc.

One of U. Helmut's cousins will meet us at the airport in Duesseldorf and let us stay at her apartment while we are in that city. We are thinking of staying in that area about a week and then starting to travel - perhaps to Belgium to visit some missionaries - then south in Germany and perhaps into Switzerland and Austria. We shall see how it all goes.

There are 18 more days to get ready and on the 19th. day it will be departure time.

Also have to take all our boxes for Zambia to Portage la Prairie on the 27th. or the 28th.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Exciting, Mom! You little world traveller, you. By the way, travelling light is overrated. You're right - it's boring to wear the same things over and over. Plus, you're not backpacking the whole way so don't worry about it. Dad can carry all your bags :)

Anonymous said...

Dear Jean,
I still have the very large piece of Skyway luggage Mom and Dad gave me for high school graduation 41 years ago. The locks still work. You may borrow it if you wish, and you may also keep it when you get back. It sounds like overwhelming excitement. I am so glad you can go while you are still young! It will be interesting to hear about your preparations and adventures. Love you so much. Pat

Jean said...

Say, Pat, I think that perhaps this family has more cast-off and old luggage than any one else on north America. I have the whole set of luggage I got at graduation - I think those were designed for train or ship travel. Now days I prefer the ones with wheels. By the way, Helmut has a unique use for old luggage - he uses them for tool boxes. Not the huge ones.

Well, REZ you should know since you are our globe-trotter.

Anonymous said...

Wow Aunt Jean that sounds exciting. In all my globe trotting I have never made it to Germany. I made to Denmark and Sweden , Scotland and Holland. I would love to see Switzerland and Germany but i think my globe trotting days are over for now. The thought of dragging 5 little kids around for a month isn't as exciting... but on the other hand if I had a ticket to Zambia I would take it in a min. :) even with kids in- tow.

Happy packing :) One bit of advice - don't lug to much stuff onto the plane. They don't have a lot of foot space any more. Maybe ask for a bulk head seat for Uncle Helmut :) that is what my Dad does on the long flights ( but only if the Movies aren't going to be shown on a screen right in front of you- then it is impossible to sleep!!

Jean said...

Nice to notice that are still blogging, Sarah. I see that you have gotten around a bit more than I realized. I guess that is one thing you sort of had to give up temporarily while you have such large family responsibilities. Perhaps you will have an opportunity to see more of north America in the near future if you can keep that big van in running order and pack the whole tribe in. One of these days you should tour the mid-west prairies and come to Wpg.

Anonymous said...

sounds like a great idea. :)
love Sarah
ps I am glad you figured out the earlier post was from me. Sorry I forgot to sign my name.